Here is the video of Sony’s Playstation 3 presentation at CES ’09, posted on G4TV.com.
There’s too much new coming from CES and it’s hard to follow them all. Sony had a keynote at CES, which combo.com so kindly posted on their site. The keynote starts with Tom Hanks and it’s quite funny.
Playstation.blog have posted a video showing the Sony booth at CES (Consumer Electronics Show).
Here is Sony’s Tokyo Game Show press conference. The videoes are all in Japanese, but some will probably watch it anyway. The videoes are from Gamevideos.com.
Sony updated the firmware for PlayStation 3 to v2.50 today. Here is the full rundown from PlayStation.uk:
An update to the PS3 system software was released on October 15, 2008. If you update your PS3 system, the system software version will be 2.50 and the following features will be updated. In order to download PS3 system software version 2.50, you will need a minimum 140Mb of free space on either the PS3 Hard Disk Drive (System Update) or on removable storage media (PC Update).
Main features in system software update version 2.50
- The account creation screens under [Sign Up for PlayStation®Network] and the menus under [Account Management] have been redesigned.
Other new or revised features in version 2.50
- You now have an option to set the PS3 system to turn off automatically after a background download or installation of content has been completed. This option is available when you are turning off the system under [Users] > [Turn Off System] while content is being downloaded or installed.
- [BD/DVD Settings] has been renamed as [Video Settings].
- Under [Video Settings], the [Cinema Conversion] and [Upscale] options have been renamed as [BD/DVD Cinema Conversion] and [BD/DVD Upscaler], respectively.
- [Sequential Playback] and [50 Hz Video Output] have been added as options under [Video Settings].
- [DivX® VOD Registration Code] has been added under [System Settings]. You must use this registration code to authenticate and register the PS3 system to be able to play video files that are compatible with the DivX® VOD (Video On Demand) service on your system. For details, visit divx.com/vod/
- [Power Save Settings] has been added as an option under Settings. To save power, the PS3 system and Wireless controllers can be set to turn off automatically after a certain period of inactivity.
- Under [Accessory Settings] > [Audio Device Settings], the method for reconnecting Bluetooth® devices has been changed.
- Under [Accessory Settings] > [Keyboard Type], you can now choose the following keyboard types: [German Keyboard (Switzerland)], [French Keyboard (Canada)] and [French Keyboard (Switzerland)].
- In the keyboard layout for [German Keyboard], the “Y” and “Z” keys have been switched and the “Q” and “A” keys have been switched.
- Under [Printer Settings] > [Printer Selection], you can now select printers that support network connectivity. You can also select HP printers using the [HP] option.
- You can now select one of nine volume output levels using the [Volume Control] setting on the control panel (or the mini-size control panel).
- [Pause] has been added as an icon on the mini-size control panel.
- You can now select one of nine volume output levels using the [Volume Control] setting on the control panel.
- [Scene Search] has been added as an option on the control panel.
- You can now use the [Mosquito Noise Reduction] setting for video content that is saved on the hard disk or storage media. Use this setting to reduce mosquito noise that appears on the edges of visual images.
- During BD (BDAV) and DVD playback, a technique known as “chroma upsampling” is now automatically selected based on the movement of objects within the video content and then applied to enhance images in the content.
- [Sync with Server] has been added as an option under [Trophy Collection].
- By pressing the PS button while playing PLAYSTATION 3 format software, you can now view information from the [Settings and Connection Status List] option under [Network Settings].*
* This feature is not available for use with some PLAYSTATION 3 format software.
- Support for Adobe® Flash® Player 9 has been added to [Internet Browser].*
* “Adobe” and “Flash” are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.
- The way to disable the automatic sign-in option and the way to sign out from PlayStation®Network have been changed.
- In PlayStation®Store, the design of the [View Downloads] and [View Cart] buttons has been changed, and a [Redeem Codes] button has been added.
Sony updated the PSP firmware from v4.05 to v5.0. So it’s a major update. And the big news is that PlayStation Store now is available for PSP.
So here is the full quote from PlayStation.uk:
An update to the PSP system software was released on October 15, 2008. If you update your PSP system, the system software version will be 5.00 and the following features will be updated.
Main features updated in version 5.00
PlayStation®Store is now available on the PSP™ system
- Using a Wireless network connection, you can now download (as a purchase or for free) products such as games, additional items for games, or video content for use on the PSP system.
The feature for outputting video from PlayStation® format software to a TV has been improved (PSP-2000 only)
- You can now output video from PlayStation format software to a TV in full-screen size.
You can now use video output cables that do not support video in progressive mode to output video from PlayStation format software to a TV.
- The number of file types that can be played has been increased to include MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) Video Main Profile (AVC CABAC) in 640 x 480 pixels
- Hint: Some video files of this type may not be playable.
- [Sleep Timer] has been added as an option on the control panel.
- [Title Display] has been added as an option under [Video Settings].
- [USB Auto Connect] has been added as an option under [System Settings].
- [Backlight Auto-Adjust] has been added as an option under [Power Save Settings].
- The default Theme for the PSP system has been redesigned.
- You can now use a full-size on-screen keyboard.
Here is a YouTube video I made to show off the new PlayStation Store on PSP.
Sony have now released Life with PlayStation for free download on your PS3. This application let you see updated news and weather from all over the world on a 3D interactive globe. In other words, it’s like the Nintendo Wii’s Weather Channel and News Channels. (Source: PlayStation.Blog)